I love snacks. Specifically, I like healthy, grab and go snacks. If you are like me and live in a rural area with not many shopping choices, these are not easily found at the grocery store. If you do have access to a health-foods store, or a store with a bigger selection then you most likely have found these on the shelves and then gasped at their prices. This has made me start to wonder–can I make my own healthy snacks?
I have recently learned that the right ingredients mixed together and then put in the refrigerator will “set up” and easily become finger foods. AKA snacks.
Here is the recipe for the No-Bake Grab & Go Snack Bars that I made:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup raw honey (we have honeybees, so I was excited to use our very own honey)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 4 cups oats
- 2 cups cereal (I used Millville Crispy Oats, available at Aldi)
- Shredded coconut (amount to your liking)
- Mix all the ingredients except for the cereal and coconut in a saucepan on medium heat.
- As soon as the mixture starts to thicken turn off the heat and add in the cereal.
- Line a pan or baking dish with parchment paper and spoon in the mixture. (The size you choose depends on how thick you want the bars to be.)
- Press down on the mixture lightly so it is even across the pan.
- Sprinkle the coconut over top.
- Let it cool for 5 or so minutes on the counter, then transfer to the refrigerator for about a 1/2 hour.
- Once the mixture seems to be set up, you can cut it into bars!