When it comes to products I have used in the past, I have found that I really do prefer body butter over regular lotion. Since I was already making balm, and pretty much had all the ingredients needed to make body butter, I decided to go for it. I have a whole stash of essential oils, and decided on grapefruit and lavender because I love a good citrus scent, but also the relaxing properties of lavender.
Here is my recipe:
3 1/2 cups unrefined shea butter
1 cup extra virgin unrefined coconut oil
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
20 drops lavender essential oil
20 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil over medium heat in a double boiler. I do not have one of these, so I used a large sauce pan and a metal bowl that set perfectly in the saucepan. Just make sure that you put only a small amount of water in the sauce pan, and that the bowl sets well above the water.
- Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for a 1/2 hour.
- Stir in grapeseed oil and essential oils.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 – 3 hours. It will start to solidify, and once you can make a slight indent in the mixture with your finger, without it being gooey it is ready to go.
- Whip until fluffy. (Side note: I whipped mine then got busy so I put in the fridge to finish later. I left it in too long and it was chunky and hard and not pretty. I just whipped it again and it was good to go!)
- Spoon into glass jars. I used 8 oz canning jars.